Cape Town, South Africa
I am 21 years old and currently a student at Vega. I am one to be very hard on myself but l know I got a good life that everyday I am grateful for. I know I cannot live any other life but my own and so its about time I start embracing it.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reference



Feminism, Postfeminism and Ideologies of Femininity :

On page 87 , Advertisement 4 :
Elle Bache's campaign slogan "Every Body is Beautiful" (figure 5.4) offers a new exploration of women's sexuality in popular culture and makes earlier feminist theories about visual objectification seem limited. It positions skin care and beauty therapy within discourses of health and well-being. Because the campaign celebrates natural beauty and offers a non-stereotypical image of female sexuality. it draws together the discourses of femininity and feminism. Some critics claimed that the campaign was guilty of the commodification of Polynesian culture and others claimed that it was a condescending attempt to the intended meaning of te advertisement. The significant thing about the Every Body is Beautiful campaign is that, although it still foregrounds beauty as an important attribute of bodies, it also reclaims the female gaze and female way sensuality. It aims to transform the way woman look at other woman, and the way they see themselves, rather than being about the way men look at women, or about how woman see themselves through the lens of the sexualised male gaze. The Ella Bache' ad is also significant because it explicitly shifts the definition of beauty away from Eurocentric ideal to celebrate difference and diversity among woman.

Source: Courtesy of Ella Bache'


My take on this reference:

From this piece of writing taken from our Critical Content book, it made me realise how much beauty and self image falls hand in hand with hygiene, beauty and how we as humans look after ourselves to be the best we can be. Our beauty and out hygiene work so closely together that its takes on a role as being somewhat of an art form. Men may have different routines but a womans hair, face and body are probably the most important aspects to being a woman.
Personally, my hair, is one of my favourite things about me and i do everything possible to look after it. It makes someone who they are and any womans beauty routine includes her hair care.
Look at the idea of a womans hairdresser; not only do they make you feel great but they are people you talk to and discuss issues you have. Very much like a cheaper psychologist. I have personally found that my hairdresser not only beautifies me and makes me feel better but I find that I have grown a connection with mine and it is the best hours when you go to your hairdresser and you just talk for hours, drink coffee, have a couple of smokes while the highlights seep into your hair. When you leave there, you have spent the day chatting and feel beautiful and so much better then when you entered the salon.
I love my hair and almost sure every woman in every culture loves it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment